Meanwhile, the 43-year-old NASCAR superstar will move forward with his career and attempt to salvage his season.
Stewart, who has 48 career Cup wins in 542 starts, is one of the biggest stars in the garage. His peers have been protective of him as questions emerged in the aftermath of the crash, and it pained them that Stewart was grieving in private and had cut off communication with so many of them. He will talk to the media for the first time since the fatal crash on Friday.
Stewart will be behind the wheel for the Oral-B USA 500 at Atlanta Motor Speedway on Sunday.
Konstantin Tereshchenko is a 20-year old Russian race car driver. During a Spa-Francorchamps practice run at the Beglian Grand Prix his car went airborne. Somehow, amazingly, Tereshchenko walked away from the crash after the car landed upside down, flipped and caught fire.
This is from a Sprint Car race at Ocean Speedway in Watsonville, CA on August 8th. Flagman Keith Trusso had just waved the green flag when a wreck happened on the second lap. Trusso started to reach for a caution flag when racer Scott Hall’s car came flying towards the wall.
After initially planning on racing in today’s Nascar competition at Watkins Glen, Tony Stewart has decided not to race today. Stewart ran over and killed driver Kevin Ward, Jr. in a sprint car race in upstate New York on Saturday night. Though Stewart-Haas Racing competition director Greg Zipadelli had said earlier that today would be “business as usual,” and Nascar said they would allow him to race, Zipadelli just hosted a press conference announcing that Stewart will sit today out.
Regan Smith will race in Stewart’s place.
[UPDATE: Tony Stewart releases statement.]
Tony Stewart releases the following statement regarding the incident last night involving Kevin Ward Jr. pic.twitter.com/SaKGXLxITk